Sounds cool, huh? Yeah it is. That’s exactly my course. I started study in Liverpool John Moores University on October 2014. Just like i said before my background degree was BA Mass Communication, which was i studied about broadcasting, journalist, and even movie maker. I studied about marketing communication, but only for 1 semester, and i completely forgot about it.
This one was my biggest step on my life, leaving my country, which was my comfort zone, i left my job and my life in my country, and flew to Great Britain, to challenge my self and took this MSc in Digital Marketing as my Master Degree’s course. I’m not satisfy of my bachelor degree title, i need more, and i chose my master degree life. I love this course, totally what i did at work in the past year.
The module in Msc Digital Marketing:
- Digital Marketing Current and Emerging Technologies
- Marketing, Consumer and Business Insights
- Digital Marketing in Context
- Research Methods for Digital Marketing
- Digital Marketing Strategy and Planning
- Digital Marketing in Context.
Why Digital Marketing is such an important thing to learn? Believe it or not, we live in the digital world nowadays. Everything is online now, you can do anything from anywhere, anytime, as long as you have the internet support and platforms.
Many online stores (online shops) around us, easy ways, easy channels, easy deals. This phenomenon makes marketing is a bit more interesting and blooming. Previously we knew about Traditional Marketing, but now, digital marketing is became a thing. The use of the internet and other digital media to support marketing has given rise to a bewildering range of labels and jargon created by academics and professionals, it called Digital Marketing (Chaffey, Dave. Digital Marketing Strategy, Implementation and Practice).
Definition of digital marketing can simply defined as; The application of the internet and related digital technologies in conjunction with traditional communications to achieve marketing objectives (Chaffey, Dave. Digital Marketing Strategy, Implementation and Practice).
Another definition of digital marketing:
Financial Times: The marketing or products or services using the digital channels to reach consumers. The key of this objective is to promote brands through various forms of digital media. Digital marketing extends beyond internet marketing to include channels that not require the internet service, such as mobile phones (SMS, MMS). It also includes social media marketing, display advertising, search engine marketing, and any other form of digital media. The other things about digital marketing is the ‘digital’ is not the only channel for marketing, it also requires a new approach to marketing and new understanding of customer behavior.
Simply Digital Marketing: is a sub branch of traditional marketing and uses modern digital channels for the placement of products, and primarily communicating with stakeholders (customers and investors) about brands, products, and business progress. From that definition, we could knew the two things of digital marketing; Access to your products and communication.
We’ve been talking about the platforms of digital marketing, we have to know more about the platforms, this aims for the digital marketing in advanced (Chaffey, Dave. 2012).
Dekstop, laptop, and notebook platforms.
- Dekstop browser-based platform. The traditional web access through the consumer’s browser of choice (Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, Safari, Firefox).
- Desktop Apps. For example, Apple with their new platform, so the users could accessing the paid apps or even for free. This gives the opportunity to engage the brands via platforms.
- E-mail Platforms. This offer the separate opportunity from browser or even the app-based options to communicate with customers or clients, whether through the editorial or advertising, and in fact, e-mail is still widely used for marketing.
- Feed-based and API data exchange platforms. Nowadays, many users still consume data through RSS feeds, or even Facebook and twitter status updates. It can be considered a form of feed or stream where ads can be inserted.
- Vidoe Marketing Platforms. Video is often delivered the messages to customers.
Mobile Phone and Tablet Platforms
Since the mobile internet access can be used in different locations, there are new opportunities to have the customer’s attention through mobile marketing.
- Mobile Operating system and browser. So many mobile browsers which are integrated with the operating system.
- Mobile-based apps. Customers could get many apps through their smarthphone. Either its from iOS, Android, Google, RIM, or even Windows. This platform offer delivery content and improved experience through a browser or even that specific apps.
Other Hardware Platforms
Apart from dekstop and mobile access, there are growing platforms to communicate with customer.
- Gaming Platforms. The gamers would knew about Playstation, Nintendo, or even Xbox. Through this platform, it could be an option to reach gamers through ads, for example in-game ads
- Indoor and Outdoorkiosk-type apps.
- Interactive Signage.
Of course Digital Marketing has the strategy, it needed to approach by which applying digital technology platforms will support marketing and business objectives. Digital marketing strategy also can use as a channel marketing strategy, which defines how a company should set specific objectives for a channel, such as the variety of internet proposition and communication for this channel (Chaffey, 2012)
I took the planning framework from Chaffey’s book, Digital Marketing Strategy, Implement and Practice, about Digital Marketing Strategy Development (Chaffey, 2012):
- Situation Analysis: Where are we now? This stage include performing an Internet-specific SWOT analysis, and review the different aspects between brand perception, customers, and even competitors.
- Objectives: Where do we want to be? This stage can include a vision for digital channels, and also specific numerical objectives. 5 Ss objectives (Sell, Serve, Sizzle, Speak, Save).
- Strategy: How do we get there? How to achieve the objectives for the different decisions points. This stage including segmentation, targeting, positioning, and also the OVP (Online Value Proposition), the integration, and the last but not least the tools (website functional, e-mail).
- Tactics: How exactly do we get there? This stage is about the details of the strategy. Include specific details about e-marketing mix, experience, and also digital communications.
- Action: Action of the plans. Details of the tactics. Who does that? When? Where? and What? Using the internet resources, skills, and also external agencies.
- Control: How do we monitor performance? Use the management information, including web analytics to assess the strategic and tactical objectives, and how improvements can be made to enhance results further.
There are 8 steps to developing an e-marketing (digital marketing) strategy (Godfrey, 2009)
- Clarify the mission and vision first
- Scan the environment
- Set the priorities
- Set the objectives
- Identify he obstacles
- Create the strategies
- Define the operational plans and budgets
- Develop and manage the project plans.
Even though for the small company who just started business online, do not thinking the first step is build the website. Just do not simply jump into action. Picturing the concepts and plans first, then go, jump into action.
- Parkin, Godfrey. (2009) Digital Marketing Strategies For Online Success. London, UK : New Holland
- Chaffey, D. & Ellis-Chadwick, F. (2012) Digital Marketing: Strategy, Implementation and Practices. Harlow: Pearson.